Friday 16 April 2021

Meet the maker 'Oh So Suzi'

Let us know about you and your creative work.

I’m Suzi, Sue, Susan aka Oh So Suzi but I’ll answer to a few other names! I grew up in Ferndown and I now live near Bournemouth airport with hubby and the three dogs. I work full time in a local engineering company so my creative activates fit around that. I am lucky to have “workshop” which is a room above the garage, all to myself. 

Please excuse the lockdown hair 



How did you get started with your craft?

The short story is I have no formal training but I love to try new arts and crafts, combine crafts, experiment and see what happens…! From inks, paints, paper, clay, flower pressing, resin, sewing, wire wrapping etc…

The longer story is… back in 1483 (well not quite that long ago) I did my O levels and got an A for Art. I was offered an interview at the art college but I don’t go – that could be my one and only regret! Then in my 20s I made wooden puzzles: children’s names and others decorative items using a scroll saw. Friends, and friends of friends would have a “party” where I showed my wears, take orders then spent several weeks cutting and painting. Then in my 30s and 40s very little, weirdly. Randomly in about 2017 I covered the top of an old table with a map – that was the turning point. Maps – who uses them now? But what wonderful pieces of artwork. I’m not sure how this led to lampshades but I used the maps to cover existing shades, then I realised that shade components were available to buy. I’m not the first to make map lampshades, but wow they look amazing lit or unlit. This led me down a decoupage route (decorating with paper and glue) on recycled tin cans and bottles. In 2018 I did my first craft fair and I’ve attended 3 or 4 a year since, ok just one in 2020! And as a charity committee member at work, I organise craft fairs to raise funds for the chosen charity. I’ve met and made lots of friends over this time, and been inspired by many. I run beginners’ decoupage and drum lampshade making workshops as I love sharing skills with like-minded people but I also love attending workshops myself. I’ve made a leather collar for one of the dogs, decoupage, watercolours, gilding, glass mosaics, fabric printing, upcycling furniture and many more!

My altered ego is called Oh So Suzi and I’m on Facebook  and Instagram 

What is the inspiration for your products/designs?

Nature, recycling and repurposing and things a little different to others…!

Do you have a favourite item/project/product?

I love the map lampshades and all things mappy because there is always a story behind every request and sometimes I get to hear it. However when I create myself using inks, paints, clay etc that makes me feel I’m a “maker” or maybe sometimes an artist.

What other hobbies (creative or otherwise) do you have?

I play squash twice weekly (covid permitting), cycle and started sea dipping this year – brrr!!! I’m a totally amateur gardener but a professional charity shopper ☺

Finally, do you have any advice for someone who wants to turn their hobby into a business?

My recommendation is not to give up any paid work immediately. Start selling to see what sells in what volumes. It’s important not to under value yourself or others who create similar products, so be aware of your costs to ensure you make a profit even as a hobby.


No comments:

Post a Comment